Honors Study and Travel
- Course:HONR 3087
- Purpose:To provide unique travel experiences to honors students both domestically and internationally. These can be based on research and/or cultural immersion.
- Contact hours:45 hours minimum over semester. Weekly meeting off class is variable since majority of contact will be done on trip.
- Credit hours:3
- Schedule type:Lecture + Trip
- Prerequisites:Good standing in HC; open to any major
- Minimum enrollment:10
- Anticipated enrollment:12
- Grading type:Regular (i.e. A-F)
- Meeting:Class + Trip immersion
- Trip length:Typically 7-10 days
- Trip scheduling:Fall semester – at the end; spring semester
– during Spring Break or at the end of the semester.
- Expected outcomes:To produce honors students that are more globally and culturally aware.
- Administration:For trips taken at the end of the fall or spring semester, students will be given
“NR” until changed to a regular grade (i.e. A-F) by the faculty member upon return and completion of all course requirements. All trips must be self-sustaining and 100% covered by students’ fees. The Honors College will assist in the collection of student payments as well as making the necessary lodging arrangements, etc.
- Compensation:The faculty member’s trip cost (lodging, airfare, per diem, and other program fees) is covered by the students’ fees. For sections meeting the minimum enrollment, the Honors College will transfer $4,000 to the appropriate College for further transfer to the faculty member’s department.
- Faculty eligibility:Tenured and tenure track full time faculty at AU. The faculty member must have a great working knowledge of the location chosen. Language proficiency would be advantageous. Also if research is built in, the course must fit with faculty member’s area of expertise.